Friday, September 09, 2005

Updates

Hi everyone...what a difference a week makes: Last Monday I asked you to look at a Katrina Relocation Plan that a friend David and I worked out to bring displaced families to Kokomo,
Since Wednesday noon we have it up on a Website and other Communities are joining us and using this plan. You may see the website at katrinarelocationplan.com

I am very limited on time but here are the highlights of the week or should I say since Wednesday:

  • Opened up a 20,000 sq. foot warehouse in Kokomo called the Katrina Warehouse
  • Have been receiving household items to be given to families coming to Kokomo
  • Have had many volunteers working every day in warehouse.
  • Got on radio on Monday, first volunteer Lisa called me.
  • We opened the warehouse at 9:00 on Wednesday with a blurb on the radio.
  • The second volunteer was a woman from Galveston Indiana who attends the UMC there, she just closed her hardware store. About an hour after we opened I asked her to cordinate the warehouse, she readily said yes , she said that God told her before she left home she would be asked and she should say yes.
  • We have a great receptionist that takes care of the phone
  • Could not get phone installed fast enough, using my cell phone. My cell phone never stops ringing with messages piling up. For our friends trying to reach us use Chris' number. If you don't have her number call the Lowell UMC at 219-696-9219 and they will give it to you.
  • Have been interviewed on the radio numerous times and have had major articles in the paper the past two days.
  • We have had two groups step up to sponsor families with 8-12 month commitments. Two families should arrive in Kokomo in two weeks.
  • Last night we had a group of teen offenders come into the warehouse to work.
  • We have a furniture store in town willing to provide new mattress's for every person.
  • We have a cleaners that will clean all coats
  • We have a carpet cleaner service that will clean all sofas and chairs
  • Office Supply store provided all of our office supplies
  • Computer donated
  • Chrysler Transmission sent several workers on loan to help us, meaning they paid their employees to help us.
  • Meijer Store gave us clothing racks
  • Goodies Dept. Store lent us nice clothing racks
  • We had several unemployed men with pick ups who wanted to pick up stuff for us but had no gas money. Recieved 100 dollars in gas cards.
  • Have been able to witness to searching volunteers who are looking for meaning to life, gently pointing them toward Jesus.
  • We are having a toy drive on Sat put on by 11 year old special need triplets with Indianapolis TV coming to cover it.
  • The presence of God is with us each day. When I go to bed at night I am tired but feel so good.
  • Was called to a meeting of top officals of Howard County, to help cordinate effort. They gave me about an hour's notice and insisted I come. I walked into a confercence room at town hall with 15 people in suits ties and dresses, I in my shorts and polo shirt, I barely had time to leave the warehouse, just went as I was, felt a bit out of place, but I don't think it was the clothes, never been to a meeting with city movers and shakers.
Please pray for the following: For katrina relocation Endeavor,

a pastor friend of mine that lives near Kokomo he is 39, with two small children and just had a stroke.

pray for chris and our family as we all have been at the warehouse a lot. We have only been open for three days but it seems like weeks. I wish I could share all my stories with you, I could write a book.

Jeff urban.outreach@gmail.com

No comments: