Friday, May 27, 2005

Simplifying

Today we started selling our stuff. For me letting go of stuff is pretty easy. Put it in a bag and take it to Goodwill. However, watching my stuff being carried out by others.;.....hmmmm the first few items that went I thought of where we first got the item, how we used it, I felt myself wanting to go a grab it out of the buyers hand and say mine. However, I did not do that I took the fifty cents, smiled and said, "thank you". I then remembered where the stuff was. The stuff I just sold was buried in the basement, way in the back, in a box that I hadn't opened in five years(pretty important to me wasn't it?). I then thought it is just stuff, haven't used it in five years, why start now. Stuff has cluttered our house and our life. I have been preaching for several years that we all need to simplify, we are now, it is really freeing to get rid of stuff and just have the few things we need. We have decided each bedroom will have one bed and one dresser. The living room will have a TV, a couch and two chairs. Kitchen or dining room a table for four and four chairs, with four more folding chairs and a card table in the closet. The office a desk, chair, computer and bookcase. That is what you will see in our new house. It feels good to be free of clutter and unnecessary stuff. I wonder if my
Christian life needs to be simplified?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How would a person simplify their Christian life? What do you mean by that?

Jeff said...

I mean that maybe I am carrying too much of the "church cluture" with me. Too many meetings etc, not enough time for people or family.