Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Joining God

Over the past few months while explaining to people what God is calling me to in Kokomo, I often explained that I plan on joining God in what God is already doing in Kokomo. I knew that God was already working and preparing the ground for me to come, but I did not know to what extent. There is a group of people that I have been working with over the past year. All of us worked in the Mobile Home Park in Kokomo when I was a pastor at Hillsdale more than 1o years ago. Presently, they all attend differnt churches. They meet every Sunday Night for fellowship and to prepare for outreach. During the past year they have passed out popcorn at a weekly outside band concert in a local park, they have put on a vacation Bible school in a community center giving each parent a first aid kit for their car, they have been room parents in a improvised school, and they threw an appreciation dinner for the teachers in the school. They have adopted a neighborhood and provided thanksgiving food baskets to every house in the neighborhood, along with making small home repairs, and yard work.
A teenager who was a child at Hillsdale when I was there, had a vision for a youth center. He and a handful of other teens with some adult sponsors got together to pray and plan and the Roots was born. Wish I had more time to tell you about the the miracles that has happened there, when they had a Goth band play and over 100 teens in Goth attire came and experienced Jesus.
There was a woman at Hillsdale that had two small sons and wished there would be something for her children. Together we started a Kids Klub on Wednesday night, that continued for many years. This woman now is attending another church(her pastor was in my young adult Sunday School class at Hillsdale, kind of a squirrelly kid, can't believe he is a pastor)her children have graduated and she has a vision. This woman called me yesterday and said she had been working with theKokomo Housing Authority and after months of negotiating and cutting through the red tape she secured permission to start a kids club in a public housing complex. She wondered if I wanted to join them, after all, the complex is right across the street from my house and church. Of course I said "yes". Not only will be able to run the kids club we have our foot in the door to do many other things. It is great to see how God opens doors and prepares the way.
On a personal note, Chris and Andrew are at church camp this week, Jonathan returns home on Saturday and I have moved into the house that is 85% done. The church has been incredible as we have had first time visitors each week that I have been here. It has been a long time since that happened, running out of bulletins was an exciting day in the church. Presently, my stress level is low, my outlook is positive and I am realizing more and more how good God is . Jeff

No comments: