Sunday, August 28, 2005

Boy what a mornin'

Today I presented the vision that God has laid on my heart for the church. The Reader's Digest version goes like this: Not every church is called to be or become a Mega church, where all services and programs are found under one roof like a Walmart, we are a small church that needs to specialize in a particular kind of ministry(a sort of niche ministry). I likened it to Dan's Donuts that is only about five blocks from the church(they are the worlds best hands down) anyway, they only do two things sell donuts and drinks(coffee and milk). I told the church we are going to be like Dan's and do only two things really well. Of course worship, Sunday school etc are givens and don't count against the two things. The first thing is that we are going to become the church next door. A church that is involved in the neighborhood. I then asked them to begin to think about what neighbors do. At that moment a young man entered the back of the Sanctuary and just stood there. After about a minute I ask if I can help him. His request: "do you have a phone cord we can borrow". Odd, but like a good neighbor we told him we could get him one in just a few minutes, just as soon as I could dig one up. Remember this happened in the middle of the sermon. He said he would come right back, when I invited him to join us. But isn't that one thing that neighbors do borrow stuff and feel comfortable enough to ask? We are becoming the church next door.

The second thing we are going to do is to provide a place where people, especially young adults, can discern if God is calling them into ministry. They will work with me as I mentor them and they gain experience through Ministry(in the church), Outreach(community ministry) and Reflection(being sure they are being called). It will be called, Ministry, Outreach, and Reflection Experience (MORE). Trinity could be a training and discerning ground for those that are being called to ministry, while gaining practical experience in church and neighborhood ministry. There seemed to be a positive reaction to the plan. Jeff

No comments: