Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Productive Days





Today I met with a community leader. I was very encouraged by him. He gave me many names of people that have a heart for reaching people in the near downtown area. I soon will be meeting with downtown church pastors and leaders who have already discerned needs. One of the things I am excited about is the possibility of having a rolling food pantry, a food pantry that would have scheduled stops throughout the city. The idea is to combine some of the smaller food pantries to form one larger one. I see great potential here. I also found out that short-term child care is a big need in and around the city so mothers can run errands, etc. I see this as a starting point to mentor mothers.

I am planning a grocery shopping/ cooking class in September. A teacher has been lined up and I hope that we will be able to teach folks how to shop for the best bargains and how to cook meals that are nutritional, good-tasting and cheap.

Tomorrow I will be help pass out school supplies at the local UAW hall. This is a United Way project in conjuction with local businesses. I am anxious to hear how all of this came about.

Tomorrow night at the church I will begin teaching a study on prayer. I am hoping to help those in church go beyond simply praying for those on the prayer list and moving their prayer times (and mine) to become more of a way to build a relationship with God. I will spend a great deal of time teaching how to listen for God.

On Thursday, I will be working at a local school (the poorest one in the community) with our Sunday Night group (see July 12), as we put on a carnival where the prizes will be school supplies. There will be no charge to play the games and the children will win paper, pencils, etc. This is registration day for the children. We will be there from 11-7.

On Saturday the boys and I, along with Chris' mother and maybe her sister, will travel to Anderson, IN (about 1 hour from here) to hear Chris sing at Choir School. We will return on Sunday for the sacred concert in the afternoon.

It is time for me to go. I have 100 ice pops to pass out to neighbors as it is well over 90 degrees outside. Thought the frozen treats might be helpful.

Keep us in prayer. This week I have applied to be a substitute teacher, inquired about working in the local prison as a chaplin, and will be visiting some funeral homes to see if anyone needs any help. I found out that the high school is looking for a paraprofessional to work with special needs students. This is the same job Chris had in Lowell, so I filled out her application on line. Jonathan has applied at many business hoping to find a job. Pray that we might find the right jobs for our schedule. -Jeff
PS: Boy, do I need someone to proof and edit these posts......it can be done from your home.. :)

No comments: